Many years ago, one of our customers, Mr P, let us know that our Real Cream was
“fantastic for making ice-cream due to its higher fat content making for a far creamier and richer flavour”.
Mr P even took the time to send us his recipe. We thought it was about time to share this with the world. Let us know how you go and don’t forget to send us some pictures!
2 cups Maleny Dairies Real Cream
1 1/2 cups Maleny Dairies Full Cream Milk
8 egg yolks
1 cup caster sugar
4 teaspoons vanilla extract/essence or 1/2 vanilla pod
pinch of salt
- In a medium saucepan over a low-medium heat, combine 1 1/2 cups of the cream and the milk and heat until hot but not boiling, stirring regularly. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a bowl, beat egg yolks and sugar until pale and creamy (not grainy in texture). Slowly add the cream mixture until well combined.
- Return the mix to saucepan and reheat over low-medium heat, stirring constantly until small bubbles form around the edges of the saucepan. Do not allow to boil.
- Return the mix to the bowl and combine the extra cream, vanilla and salt. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Using an ice-cream maker, churn/stir until desired consistency is reached. Serving immediately or freeze in an airtight container for at least 2-3 hours before serving.
Note: If you so not have an ice-cream maker you can pour the mix into an airtight container and freeze for 2-3 hours, removing from the freezer every 30 minutes and stirring the mix with a whisk, wooden spoon or electric mixer vigorously, making sure to break up any frozen sections to make the miz consistent. try to avoid letting water get into the mix, including any droplets formed by condensation during step 4.